Exposing your baby to the sun way too much can be harmful to your little one. It can increase the risk of skin cancer in the later part of life. Not only that, even sunburn can cause pain as well as discomfort in the baby. That is the main reason why baby’s skin must be protected from the sun during summer.
Tips to keep your baby safe in the sun:
- Encourage your baby to play in the shade, as in under the trees. This is required when the sun is very strong between 11 am and 3 pm.
- If your baby is less than 6 months then do not expose your baby to direct sunlight especially during the midday At this time the sun is the strongest.
- Be it a cloudy or a sunny day; always cover your baby’s exposed skin areas with sunscreen. The one with SPF 15 or above is ideal for use as it protects against both UVA and UVB. Apply the sunscreen cream generously over the shoulders, ears, nose, cheek as well as the top of feet. Remember to reapply it often.
- Preferably cover your baby with loose cotton clothing during the sunny part of the day. Make the child wear a floppy hat with a very wide and broad brim that can cover up the baby’s face and neck.
- If you want to take your baby to a play area or the beach then make sure you have a good baby tent for the garden or beach. This will protect your baby from exposure to the sun directly.
Keep your baby safe from the sun and prevent long-term complications. Carry everything in your bag so that it can come handy in an emergency.